The Society for Education and Training (SET) is part of the Education and Training Foundation (ETF), the sector-owned and sector-led organisation working to raise the quality and professionalism of teachers and trainers across the post 16 Further Education (FE) and training system.
SET incorporates the membership organisation previously run by the Institute for Learning (IfL) until November 2014.
The Society is managed by a dedicated team of staff.
Our goals for our governance structure are that:
- Our members will have representation and regular involvement in guiding the strategic and operational planning for the future development of the Society.
- Members will be at the heart of everything we do, their views and opinions will play a central role in determining the future direction of the Society, and its success will be driven by their engagement.
- Our membership service will be self-sustainable rather than supported by other sources, so that membership funds pay for further investment into membership benefits.
The SMB carries out the following critical functions:
- draws together recommendations from the PAG group and advice from SET staff to agree and shape annual operational and strategic plans for SET and QTLS
- forecasts and monitors the in-year performance of SET, in terms of member numbers, QTLS candidates, impact and outcomes
- approves new policies and procedures that have been designed through the PAG and other panels
- receives any matters of concern or issues for escalation or resolution
- reports these plans and outcomes to the overarching Education and Training Foundation board for information and/or approval.
The Board is made up of twelve individuals: six SET members, appointed from the wider PAG group, three in-house ETF staff, one lay member and two Trustees of the ETF, one of whom is chair’.
The members of the SET Management Board are:
- Chair: Dan Williams, Lecturer and Collaborative Partner Lead for the PGCE Post 14 Education and Training at the University of Derby
- Anita McGowan MBE – Lecturer in Business management and HR, University of Roehampton
- Jill Saunders – Lecturer Foundation English at Petroc
- Jim Crompton - Education and Training Services Officer, British Army
- Dr Barbara Van der Eecken - Director of Service Excellence and Business Improvement for Babington
- Amanda Annis, Head of Quality Assurance - RSL Awards
- David Russell, Chief Executive, Education and Training Foundation
- Jenny Jarvis, Chief Operating Officer, Education and Training Foundation
- Zayn Azam, Trainee IT Engineer for Qubic Group Plc
- Martin Reid, Head of Membership, The Society for Education and Training
The Board meets three times a year, on dates aligned with meetings of the PAG and ETF. Board members are appointed for a period of three years. The first Management Board meeting took place in February 2016.
The PAG reports into the SET Management Board.
The PAG is made up 40 SET members working across the FE and training sector that meet three times a year to discuss their thoughts and opinions about membership, and to feedback on our proposals for the SET membership strategy.