The Society for Education and Training (SET) is part of the Education and Training Foundation (ETF), the sector-owned and sector-led organisation working to raise the quality and professionalism of teachers and trainers across the post-16 Further Education (FE) and training system.
SET is managed by a dedicated team of staff.
Our goals for our governance structure are that:
- Our members will have representation and regular involvement in guiding the strategic and operational planning for the future development of the Society.
- Members will be at the heart of everything we do, their views and opinions will play a central role in determining the future direction of the Society, and its success will be driven by their engagement.
The SMB carries out the following critical functions:
- draws together recommendations from the PAG group and advice from SET staff to agree and shape annual operational and strategic plans for SET and QTLS
- forecasts and monitors the in-year performance of SET, in terms of member numbers, QTLS candidates, impact and outcomes
- approves new policies and procedures that have been designed through the PAG and other panels
- receives any matters of concern or issues for escalation or resolution
- reports these plans and outcomes to the overarching Education and Training Foundation board for information and/or approval.
The Board is made up of 11 individuals: six SET members, appointed from the wider PAG group, one of whom is Chair, two in-house ETF staff, one lay member and two Trustees of the ETF.
The members of the SET Management Board are:
- Chair: Major Jim Crompton - Education and Training Services Officer, British Army
- Vice Chair: Dr Barbara Van der Eecken - Director of Quality and Service Standards at Babington
- Sarah Simons: Writer, Lecturer, Director of The UKFEchat Community
- Wendy Coley: Teaching Skills Adviser, The College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London
- Anita McGowan MBE – Lecturer in Business management and HR, University of Roehampton
- Sarah Whiteside-Jones – Head of Membership Engagement, The Institute of the Motor Industry
- Phil Green: Athletic Coach Education Tutor at England Athletics
- David Russell, Chief Executive, Education and Training Foundation
- Martin Reid, Director, The Society for Education and Training
- ETF Trustee, to be appointed
- ETF Trustee, to be appointed
The Board meets three times a year, on dates aligned with meetings of the PAG and ETF. Board members are appointed for a period of three years. The first Management Board meeting took place in February 2016.
The PAG reports into the SET Management Board and is made up of 40 SET members working across the FE and training sector. Drawing on their own experience and their knowledge of the part of the sector in which they work, PAG members meet to discuss their thoughts and opinions about membership and feedback on proposals for the SET membership strategy, helping to improve and develop the membership offer for all SET members. The PAG meets three times a year as a group (virtually at the time being), as well as having the opportunity to join further steering groups.