As a member of the Society for Education and Training (SET), you have access to a range of benefits and services to support you in your professional practice. Whether you are seeking career development, enhanced status or to build on your knowledge, by combining SET's benefits and services, you can derive greater benefit from your membership. Browse the full list of benefits to find out more on:
SET supports individuals throughout their career from initial teacher education to experienced practitioner, and every stage in between. Through SET membership you can access support to develop your skills and knowledge through continuing professional development (CPD) wherever you practise and to suit every stage of your career journey.
- SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount on the majority of professional development courses to support practioners, leaders and managers working across the FE and skills sector that are produced by the Education and Training Foundation (ETF).
- Organise and manage your CPD with the simple CPD recording tool in the redesigned My SET Dashboard
- An online self-assessment tool to assess yourself against the professional standards and use as a basis to create a professional development plan.
- Access monthly member-only webinars on key issues and topic areas suggested by our members
- Join regional CPD events. These face to face events, held three times a year, are free regional events and workshops exclusive to SET, and cover key topic areas requested by our members.
- Access SET’s online library of CPD resources and publications
- SET grades of membership signal the status of members – with Fellow being the highest grade. Members can also use the designatory letters FSET (Fellow), MSET (Member), or ASET (Associate) and from March 2016 members will receive their own digital pin, tailored to their member designation, to use on their own profiles and emails to show that they are members of SET.
- SET is the only organisation that confers the professional status of Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS). QTLS status is also recognised in law as equal to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for teaching in schools.
- Recognition routes to QTLS are also available to SET members with substantial teaching experience or who have overseas teaching qualifications.
- Access My QTLS/REfLECT+, your online personal learning space. You can access My QTLS/REfLECT+ anytime, anywhere from your PC, laptop or mobile. It enables you to plan, record and assess the impact of continuing professional development (CPD) on your practice.
News and views
Keeping abreast of the latest news and issues in the sector can sometimes seem difficult. Stay up-to-date with the SET news feed, quarterly professional journal, monthly enewsletter and regular blogs.
- News feed: a constantly updated list of news from around the post-16 education and training sector, allowing you to easily stay informed by retrieving the latest content from the key news sites.
- Receive InTuition, SET’s quarterly professional journal packed with sector news, expert views and opinions, feature articles, research content and practical examples of effective practice.
- Read our annual research supplement. The first edition includes articles written by current practitioners about their own research, selected key research texts from Bloomsbury’s recent Reflective Teaching in FE publication, and contributions from other authors who support the use of research in the sector.
- Stay in the loop through our monthly InTuition Extra enewsletter, supporting members' continuing professional development (CPD) and providing the latest sector and policy news.
- Read regular articles and information from around the sector, sharing knowledge, expertise and opinions.
Community and networking
As a member of SET, you are part of a large community of like-minded professionals who can network, collaborate and influence national policy.
- Join the community forums to debate and discuss issues with other SET members.
- Stay connected online through social networks and accessing the latest SET news and sector announcements on Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Share your knowledge, expertise and opinions by contributing your blog posts to SET or contributing to SET's professional journal, InTuition.
- The protection afforded to the profession (collectively and individually), learners, employers and the public interest through the code of professional practice developed by the profession for the profession.
- Take part in consultations and surveys, with views being fed back to partner organisations.
Advice and support
SET prioritises listening to members and providing support as and when it is needed. SET also has discounts and special offers on a range of personal and professional products and services to help members save money.
- Access free legal advice through Law Express on a wide range of subjects including personal and professional legal matters.
- Discounts and special offers negotiated by SET on a range of products and services to help support your teaching and training practice.
- Access online learning programmes at a vastly reduced cost from award-winning learning provider EduCare.
- SET offers a number of additional £500 bursaries to members who secure places on the annual Research Development Fellowship programmes offered by ETF.