Building on the e-learning Introduction to Mentoring programme, the Society for Education and Training (SET) is launching a mentoring service to provide support and encouragement to members facing work or career decisions, opportunities or dilemmas.
There is much evidence to show that a good mentor can make a positive difference to anyone working on their professional development. At the same time, the opportunity provides a mutually beneficial experience for mentors to enhance their skills in supporting and developing others, and provide new perspectives on their own practice.
SET recognises the benefits of offering a mentoring service and is:
- Setting up a register of mentors: The Register will consist of members of SET who are highly experienced and skilled in their chosen fields who also have experience of coaching and mentoring.
- Offering a matching service to link potential mentors with mentees: In the early stages it may not always be possible to geographically link people but it is hoped that mentoring via skype/telephone will be a positive alternative to face-to-face sessions.
Please read our guidance documents to find out more about what mentoring involves and how you can benefit from taking part as either a mentor or a mentee.
Timeline for the SET mentoring service
- Mentor registration from 4 December 2017: Mentors are invited to register their interest and apply to become a SET mentor. f you would like to become a SET Mentor, you can apply to join the register by emailing a Registration of Interest form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mentee registration from 18 December 2017: The first deadline for SET Mentees has now closed. We will be recruiting again in May.
- Early February: Matching process to be carried out.
- Mid-February 2018: First meetings take place – these are most likely to be virtual meetings via Skype or telephone.
If you are interested in becoming a SET Mentor and haven’t yet completed the video-based e-learning Introduction to Mentoring programme, now's the time make a start your journey to becoming a mentor.
Keep an eye on this page for more information about the service and how to get involved. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com.