Building on the e-learning Introduction to Mentoring programme, the Society for Education and Training (SET) is launching a mentoring service to provide support and encouragement to members facing work or career decisions, opportunities or dilemmas.
There is much evidence to show that a good mentor can make a positive difference to anyone working on their professional development. At the same time, the opportunity provides a mutually beneficial experience for mentors to enhance their skills in supporting and developing others, and provide new perspectives on their own practice.
SET recognises the benefits of offering a mentoring service and is:
- Setting up a register of mentors: The Register will consist of members of SET who are highly experienced and skilled in their chosen fields who also have experience of coaching and mentoring.
- Offering a matching service to link potential mentors with mentees: In the early stages it may not always be possible to geographically link people but it is hoped that mentoring via skype/telephone will be a positive alternative to face-to-face sessions.
Please read our guidance documents to find out more about what mentoring involves and how you can benefit from taking part as either a mentor or a mentee.
Timeline for the SET mentoring service
- Mentor registration from 4 December 2017: Mentors are invited to register their interest and apply to become a SET mentor. Please register your interest by downloading this form. Deadline for applications is 8 January 2017. Please note that places for this first round of mentoring are limited to 30 mentors and any mentors meeting the eligibility criteria who are not allocated in this round will be placed on the register for the future.
- Mentee registration from 18 December 2017: Mentees will be invited to apply for a mentor. Deadline for mentee registration is 26 January 2018.
- Early February: Matching process to be carried out.
- Mid-February 2018: First meetings take place – these are most likely to be virtual meetings via Skype or telephone.
If you are interested in becoming a SET Mentor and haven’t yet completed the video-based e-learning Introduction to Mentoring programme, now's the time make a start your journey to becoming a mentor.
Keep an eye on this page for more information about the service and how to get involved. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.