Our top tips for completing your professional formation application
Familiarise yourself with our top 15 tips for undertaking professional formation leading to Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status.
- Do not wait until the last minute to complete your portfolio. It is evident to a reviewer when this happens.
- Ensure your narrative and evidence is related to your post-14 teaching practice (Year 10 and above/adults)
- Evidence from ITE qualification or prior to registration for professional formation must not be included
- Teachers of maths, English or ESOL (in any context, at any level) must hold a maths/English or ESOL qualification at Level 3 or above, so ensure you upload a scanned copy to your portfolio
- In the Roles and Responsibilities section, start with explaining your current role so that the reviewer knows straight away exactly what it is you do
- Ensure you add reflective comments when completing the self-assessment for all 20 Professional Standards
- Make sure your professional development plan is based on the results of your self-assessment and feedback from your first observation
- Complete the CPD record in the portfolio and ensure you add a minimum of 6 CPD activity entries. All evidence must be completed in the portfolio, not your SET dashboard.
- Ensure all observations and documents are signed and dated. Ensure you complete the observation cover sheet in full for both observations, including your own self-evaluation of the observer's feedback. The observer report/feedback must be uploaded separately.
- Check the dates of your evidence and ensure nothing is dated prior to the registration date
- Make sure your critical reflection tells your journey through professional formation
- Ensure your evidence is in the correct section and that it is saved with file names that clearly identify what the evidence is, to make it easier for the reviewer to find
- Check your deadlines in the Onboarding section of the Knowledge Base.
- Revisit the guidance in the Knowledge Base regularly to ensure that you stay on track and provide all the evidence required.
- Proofread your portfolio
- Do not include the kitchen sink for evidence. Less is more sometimes.
- Familiarise yourself with these top tips for undertaking professional formation leading to Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status