Membership FAQs

The Society for Education and Training (SET) offers you access to hundreds of CPD opportunities to inspire you to continuously develop your skills and knowledge. Here are some of the top questions asked by SET members to help you understand the sector and the opportunities it offers, and help you unlock your career potential. 

Do I still have to declare a record of Continuing Professional Development (CPD)?

Since the 2007 Workforce Regulations were revoked by the Government in 2012/13, there is no longer a requirement for SET members to make an annual declaration of their CPD by 31 August each year. However, there is still a requirement for members to remain in good standing by completing annual CPD which would also confirm the currency their professional status of QTLS. This is done when members renew their membership, as they are asked to confirm their commitment to completing CPD through the conditions of membership. 

How can I progress my Member status to Fellowship?

You can progress to Fellow status if you can provide confirmation that you hold a higher degree in the area of education or training in addition to your teaching qualification. An accepted qualification would include a Master’s Degree in Education, Master of Teaching, a Doctorate in Education or Philosophy, an MSc or MEd in Education or an MSc in Human Resource Management and Training. You would need to send us a scanned copy of your higher certificate by email. 

I am a school head teacher employing a teacher with QTLS.  Can SET carry out a prohibition check on the member of staff on our behalf?

Since the Government revoked the 2007 Workforce Regulations in 2012/13, SET no longer receives information regarding prohibition checks from the police.  If you are able to provide the name and membership number of the member of staff concerned, we are able to confirm whether he or she is currently registered as a member of SET, completing annual CPD and complying with our Code of Professional Practice. 

I have retired from the profession, am on a low income, am unemployed at the time of renewing my membership or am undertaking a full-time or part-time pre-service teaching qualification. Do you offer concessionary rates?

Concessionary rates are available to members who have retired from the profession, are on a low income, are unemployed at the time of renewing their membership or are undertaking a full-time or part-time pre-service teaching qualification. For more information, see our Subscriptions options page.

Further information

If you have any more questions, please contact us and we will be happy to help. 

© 2021 ETF Services Ltd Company No. 9511877. VAT Number: 212116665. A wholly owned subsidiary of The Education & Training Foundation Registered Charity No. 1153859, 157-197 Buckingham Palace Road London SW1W 9SP

We use cookies to provide a better site for members. By continuing to use the site you agree to the use of cookies. Read our cookies policy.