The Society for Education and Training (SET), the membership body for the Education and Training Foundation (ETF), is supporting World Mental Health Day, 10 October, 2019.
Additionally, SET has announced that at this year's SET Conference 2019 (6 November), the Education Support Partnership will be hosting a breakout session showcasing the findings from recent research into the mental health of people working in the Further Education sector. More than 1,000 SET members contributed to the research via survey and focus groups.
To find a range of resources for professionals in the Further Education and Training Sector available across the SET and ETF website, please view the following links:
- Special Interest Digest: Sign-up to view the Health and Wellbeing Special Interest Digest and access a wide range of resources, including the Mindful toolkit cards, designed to be used with prisoners with a range of SEND needs, but focusing on mental wellbeing.
- Article: Mental Health, Wellbeing and resilience in Further Education. "Mental health, wellbeing and resilience are huge in the further education context", writes Jennifer Lindsell, Graphic Design BTEC L2/3 and Art teacher at Joseph Chamberlain College.
- Article: Support your health and wellbeing in the workplace—advice on how to get a better work-life balance and find the right support and advice when you need it.
- Webchat: Mindfulness for learners and practitioners—how mindfulness can help practitioners deal with challenging workloads, stress, and manage behavioural issues in the classroom.
- Webinar: Staff health and wellbeing at work—webinar looking at health and wellbeing in the workplace. Kathryn James defines what we mean by health and wellbeing, what it is about work that can sustain and promote positive health and wellbeing, and the triggers to poor health and wellbeing.
- Webinar: Mental health awareness—a practitioner's perspective. This webinar outlines research and perspectives on mental health from a practitioner's viewpoint, including: an overview of mental health and wellbeing, some of the challenges that affect our emotional wellbeing, the impact this can have on us and our work and coping strategies.
Focus on learners' mental health:
- Article: Supporting learners' mental health in further education and skills—with students increasingly struggling with mental illness, this article looks at how colleges and further education providers can raise awareness and address mental health difficulties.
- Webinar: Supporting learners' with mental health needs—webinar aiming to support members who are working with learners and apprentices with mental health needs. It looks at how teachers and trainers can: support the declaration of mental health needs and enable learners to talk about their mental health; support learners with mental health needs in the classroom and in work placement; get support for themselves and develop their own professional practice in supporting learners with mental health needs.
For more information on mental health and wellbeing, please visit the Education and Training Foundation (ETF) website.
You can also find infomation and advice fron our partners: The Education Support Partnership, along with Mind, and Mental Health at Work.