Are you eligible for QTLS?

In order to apply for the Professional Formation process and to achieve Qualified Teacher Learning Skills (QTLS) you must meet certain criteria. Full details of the eligibility criteria are given below.

You can use our handy online eligibility checker to to help you identify if you are eligible.

You must have access to the following eligible qualification certificates before registering to undertake professional formation. Whilst it is the obligation and responsibility of the member to check they are eligible prior to registration; we will check your qualification certificates at the earliest available opportunity.

Do you have a recognised teaching qualification at Level 5 or above?

You must hold one of the following: 

  • Diploma in Education and Training (DET)
  • Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (DTLLS)
  • Teachers or trainers with DET or PGCE (FE)
  • An equivalent qualification on our approved list working in a range of other settings - this must include 100 hours of teaching and eight observations of your teaching practice.

See our list of approved teaching qualifications equivalent to the Diploma in Education and Training (DET).


Are you a teacher working in schools?

Professional Formation, leading to QTLS is designed for teachers and trainers working in the Further Education and Training sector and as such participants should have regular access to teaching in this sector. If you currently work in a school, particularly where the learners you teach are below sixth form, you should consider undertaking QTS. 


Are you a teacher with PGCE and QTS?

You must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Trained as a teacher to work in schools and have a PGCE with QTS and currently be working in the FE and training sector
  • Trained as a teacher to work in secondary schools and currently be working in the FE and skills sector
  • Trained as a teacher to work in primary schools and currently be working in the FE and skills sector.


Are you a teacher with overseas qualifications?

If you have an initial teacher education qualification not issued in England, Wales or Northern Ireland and are currently teaching in England, you will need to check whether you are eligible.

Email a scanned copy of your qualification and a UK ENIC statement. The ENIC statement must confirm your teaching qualification is equivalent to Level 5 and entitles you to teach in the country of issue.


Have you recently completed teacher training?

If you have recently completed your initial teacher training qualification you must have been awarded and have received your certificate before registering for QTLS.


Do you hold maths and English qualifications?

In order to apply for QTLS you must also hold an eligible Level 2 or above in maths and English (graded at the equivalent of C or above). If you gained your maths and English qualifications overseas, you’ll need to provide a UK ENIC statement (formerly NARIC) confirming your qualifications are equivalent to UK Level 2. You will be expected to upload a copy of all relevant documents.

See our list of approved qualifications

Please note that we no longer accept the Level 2 certificate in Adult Literacy and Numeracy.


Do you teach maths or English? 

If you teach maths or English you will need to hold a minimum Level 3 qualification, regardless of the level taught or hours delivered. You will be required to upload a copy of your Level 3 English and/or maths qualification certificate.

If you teach in a SEND setting and deliver a life skills curriculum which includes embedding maths and English you would not be required to have a Level 3 qualification - unless your timetable/portfolio states you deliver discrete sessions of maths or English either as standalone subjects or which lead to a qualification, e.g. Functional Skills.

See a list of approved qualifications for maths and English at Level 2 and 3.


Subject specialism

Participants are required to upload a copy of their highest-level subject specialism qualification in every subject they teach; this must be at Level 3 or above.


Do you have evidence of current practice

During the professional Formation process, you will need to provide evidence that you will be teaching and have responsibility for a group of post 14 learners for at least four hours a week.

If you are teaching in a one-to-one setting you must be able to provide evidence of teaching in a group setting, with five or more learners.

In your teaching role, you should have responsibility for a group of learners, e.g. evidence whilst acting as a Learning Support Assistant will not be accepted.

If you are recently qualified you’ll need to provide evidence of practice generated post qualification.


Do you have a supporter/mentor?

You will need to nominate a supporter or mentor who will support you through the Formation Process. Your supporter must be a qualified teacher who can comment on your developing practice through the process and provide a statement on your completion.

Your supporter must not be undertaking QTLS or ATS whilst supporting your developmental journey. We highly recommend that supporters only provide support to a maximum of three participants at any given time.

Find out more about who can be your supporter.