Our mission at The Society for Education and Training (SET) is to engage our members in the active use, creation and dissemination of research into effective teaching and learning practices.
SET members are committed professionals who recognise why being research active and committed to evidence based practice is important to improving their own teaching and outcomes for learners, and is included in the Professional Standards.
The Education and Training Foundation (ETF) and SET are committed to supporting and promoting 'research for the sector, by the sector'. Much of our effort is focused on providing practitioners with the time, space and resources to undertake their own research to improve an aspect of practice, and to ground this in theory and to existing research.
Practitioner Research Programme
If you are interested in applying for the Practitioner Research Programme (PRP) then now is the time to start to take this forward. We are currently taking expressions of interest for the PRP 2019-20 with the formal application process opening on Monday 1 July at the ETF Annual Research Conference. To register your interest please email Daniel Gregson with your name, role and name of your employer. We will get back to you as soon as the formal process opens.
Join us at the ETF Annual Research Conference in London on Monday 1 July to find out:
- what it means to be part of a vibrant network of practitioner researchers from across the country
- more about the ways in which practitioners just like you are improving teaching, learning and assessment through practice focused research
- more about the Practitioner Research Programme and how you can apply
- how you can extend your professional networks.
Find out more and book your place at the conference.
Visit the ETF website to find out more about the ETF MPhil and MA short course research programme.
SET members can access SET's expansive online research library. The journal collection comprises a wide range of national and international education research allowing you to deepen your teaching and training expertise.
Find out more about the online research library.
The Professional Standards Research Tool is an interactive guide mapping out the 20 Professional Standards, drawn from research and other formal evidence. Use this tool to help you demonstrate how you are continuing to develop your pedagogical skills and subject specialist knowledge in relation to the relevant standards.
Access to research
SET has been guided by our members to increase the quality and quantity of access to research. For example:
- Increased research content in InTuition, featuring practitioner-led research and key readings.
- Access to research Q&A via SET's online communities.
- Bursaries to support SET members on the Foundation’s Practitioner Research Programme (applications currently closed).
- Publication of our Research Supplements showcasing practitioner research from the sector.
SET members value being part of a community of practice. Promoting and stimulating the application, and generation, of research is a central part of this provision. Practitioners who are SET members have the space to publish their own work and access the latest offerings from the sector. We hope you make the most of the material and resources available to you via our website, Intuition and the Research Supplement.