The purpose of this piece of research has been to provide an evidential base for our work to shape the new membership offer. We were delighted to receive strong engagement from practitioners across the sector. The findings from our online survey of 2,837 people provided a strong body of data to inform our thinking. We also interviewed sector stakeholders and worked with a 25-strong practitioner advisory group and two focus groups from Learning South West and Manchester College to test and refine the guidance offered by the survey.
Download the Consultation report
Our research provided clear evidence of what was most valuable from the IfL legacy and what practitioners want from a new membership offer. Highlights of this include:
- The importance of members’ professional status and the recognition this provides them in their career
- Ongoing recognition for members’ professional development through different levels of membership, professional formation and a professional register
- Providing the ability to gain Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status and be recognised as equivalent to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for teaching in schools
- Giving access to a range of high-quality CPD or training programmes to support progression in professional knowledge and expertise
- Providing valuable learning content – including academic literature, and a dedicated journal that highlights effective practice
- Having an active practitioner community to discuss the application of effective teaching and learning practice, in areas of specialist and general interest
- Close involvement in the future development and planning of the professional organisation, to make sure it represents what members want.
- The evidence from this research has informed our preparation of the vision, strategy and delivery plans for the Foundation’s new professional membership service. The output from this piece of work has been a full research report outlining what the sector considers important from their professional membership, and also a forward strategy outlining our vision and plans for the service over the coming years.