We support the sector with a considered, evidence-based and inclusive approach to Continuous Professional Development (CPD).
Extensive research from the Education and Training Foundation (ETF) is the foundation which underpins what the Society for Education and Training (SET) and ETF delivers. In developing our programmes, we work in partnership with our SET members, expert panels, employers and key sector bodies.
Commitment to CPD
As a SET member, you commit to undertaking continuing professional development (CPD) that has an impact on your practice each year. This demonstrates that you are improving your relevant knowledge and skills in your subject area and teaching or training.
How much CPD should I do?
Following the removal of the further education (FE) workforce regulations in 2012, it is no longer a requirement for all teachers and trainers in the education and training sector to make a declaration of their CPD each year.
In line with most other professional bodies, SET expects members to remain in good professional standing by staying up to date with their subject specialism and approaches to teaching and learning. As a SET member, you are asked to agree to make a commitment to your CPD when you renew your SET membership each year.
SET does not have a points system or minimum number of hours of CPD that members must achieve. A wide range of formal and informal activities could count as meaningful professional development. You just need to be able to answer "yes" to these questions:
- Have you undertaken professional development activities this year?
- Have you reflected on the learning you have gained from these activities?
- Have the activities and the reflection made a difference to how you teach or train?
- Can you show evidence of this difference and the impact it has made to learners, colleagues or the organisation in which you work?
Recording your CPD
You can record your CPD in any form that suits you and your circumstances, but we recommend that you record your CPD using the CPD record in your My SET dashboard available free as part of your SET membership. My QTLS/REfLECT+ is a personal and secure space, designed to support you in keeping a log of your CPD activities and reflections.
What counts as CPD?
- Reading relevant journal articles or reviewing books
- Taking training courses or formal development or study
- Peer review, mentoring or shadowing
- Online learning including engagement in discussion forums and blogs
- Viewing and reviewing television programmes, documentaries and the internet.
View examples of CPD.