SET’s membership grade criteria are designed to include the diversity of teaching and training roles found across the further education (FE) and skills sector.
This diversity includes those in support roles and those who have teaching or training experience and are using this in classrooms, workshops, the community and the workplace.
The key criteria for the appropriate grade of membership are the level of professional qualifications gained, together with the extent of teaching or training experience.
Your grade is automatically selected by our system when you register with us and input your qualifications and experience. If you have a query about the grade that you have been allocated, please contact the membership team by email at email@example.com.
The profiles that typify each grade are:
Fellows of SET are highly experienced practitioners who have an influential voice and play an important role in the work of SET. There are a number of routes to Fellowship available.
Fellows are eligible to apply for Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status (QTLS) providing they meet the eligibility criteria.
Fellows are entitled to use the designatory letters FSET.
Find out more about routes to Fellowship.
Join SET as a Fellow or upgrade your membership by contacting the membership team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 0800 093 9111 (free phone).
Experienced practitioners within further education (FE) and skills, who hold a minimum of:
- level 5 diploma (Diploma in Teaching in Lifelong Learning Sector, DTLLS) or equivalent, such as a PGCE, Cert. Ed, General Professional Recognition, or
- level 5 DET [Diploma in Education and Training] or
- level 4 stage 3 FE Teacher Qualification.
Members are eligible to work towards QTLS status, according to their qualifications and teaching role.
Members are entitled to use the designatory letters MSET.
Join SET as a Member
Experienced practitioners within FE and skills, who hold a minimum of:
- level 3/4 certificate (Certificate in Teaching in Lifelong Learning Sector, CTLLS) or equivalent, or
- level 4 stage 1 or 2 FE teaching qualification for full time teachers, or
- assessor awards.
Associates are entitled to use the designatory letters ASET.
Join SET as an Associate Member
This category of membership is open to those new to the profession or who may be working towards a teaching qualification including:
- Level 3/4 award (Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector, PTLLS)
- City and Guilds Certificate or Diploma in Delivering Learning
as well as:
- trainee teachers and others working towards post-16 education and training qualifications
- those in learning support roles.
Join SET as an Affiliate member
This grade is ideally suited to anyone in a leadership, management or support role in the sector, but who is not a qualified teacher or trainer, or not undertaking some form of teacher training. Anyone with an interest in the work of SET can benefit from Companion membership, which typically includes HR professionals, managers of teaching and learning support activities and senior leaders from non-teaching or training backgrounds.
Join SET as a Companion
Honorary SET membership
This grade is conferred by SET to acknowledge individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to the sector.