Find out more about the eligibility criteria, cost and skills required to apply for Advanced Teacher Status (ATS).
To be eligible to apply for ATS, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- be a current member of SET and have completed a Declaration of Suitability (read the ATS Terms and Conditions for more information)
- have been awarded with Qualified Teacher Learning Skills (QTLS) or Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
- have held your initial teacher education qualification for a minimum of four years
- be teaching or training in a post-14 setting (including training colleagues) for an average of eight hours a week (or equivalent annualised hours) for the duration of undertaking ATS. This could be in a range of settings, including: further education (FE) colleges, adult and community learning, work-based learning, employers, offender learning, armed services and schools. If you are teaching in a school, then your evidence must be drawn from teaching learners in years 10, 11 and above.
Applicants wishing to apply must have:
1. Pedagogical skills: Demonstrating consistency in high level teaching and learning, resulting in a positive impact on learner outcomes. Evidence should include:
- a witness testimony or statement from a line manager, quality manager or advanced practitioner confirming consistency in high level teaching and learning skills
- a testimony or record confirming consistent improvements in learner outcomes, demonstrating distance travelled, taking into account the national average.
2. Up-to-date subject/vocational knowledge: Demonstrating a commitment to maintaining and updating this knowledge. Evidence could include:
- *a subject specialist qualification
- a CV demonstrating evidence of work experience
- records of recent relevant CPD undertaken
- a record of a visit to an employer.
*If you teach maths or English (numeracy, literacy, ESOL) GCSE or Functional Skills in either the FE and skills sector or in schools, you will also need to hold maths and English qualifications at a minimum of Level 3, such as ‘A’ Level Maths or English or Level 3 Award in Mathematics for Numeracy teaching, or Level 3 Award in English for Literacy and Language teaching. View a list of acceptable qualifications at Level 3.
Cost for undertaking ATS
The standard price for undertaking ATS is £750. Currently we are able to offer it at a discounted rate of £600. Payment can be made in direct debit instalments with an initial payment of just £150 required on acceptance of a place followed by six payments of £75.